Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Our Schoolroom


Our dining room is our central homeschool location. We purchased a large white board and bulletin board from Costco.com and the shelving units are from various retailers. We have a nice big dining table where we work and can spread out our school materials.

 
We use the workbox system in our schooling, which has really kept us on track. This picture shows our workbox setup. Each child has a shelving unit (4-shelf wire shoe rack from Target) with 6-12 numbered workboxes (clear plastic boxes) for each activity or lesson they are to complete for the day. This allows them to see what they have to do for the day, shows them what they have accomplished so far, and keeps me in check by forcing me to prepare ahead of time for our school day. I will write another more detailed blog about how we use workboxes sometime in the near future.


This shelving stand holds our Sonlight Core K materials, puzzles, large bins of workbox activities, and school files and supplies leftover from when I was a first grade teacher.


When we first moved into our home, my mother-in-law came up with this great idea for kids' storage. We purchased 3 shelving units that fit into the niche of our bar area in our dining room to hold toys, books, diapers, etc. Yes, it looks cluttered, but my kids know where to put things away.


This is not what we have on our bulletin board at this time, but I wanted to show how I had it set up last year. This was our daily calendar where we covered many concepts, such as months of the year, days of the week, patterns, even and odd numbers, money, tally marks, place value, addition and subtraction. We would spend about 10-15 minutes each day going over each area of the calendar. After awhile, I could see it was beginning to get a little mundane for Joshua, so I decided to take a break from the calendar. For now our bulletin board shows off the kids' masterpieces.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is great. I was wondering where you have been. We have not seen you in so so long now I know why. We are having the whole school discussion now as Alex will be starting next year. Well take care and keep up the good work. We hope to see you all real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your school room is lovely! We school is our dinning room.

    ReplyDelete